Wednesday, April 13, 2011

36 Chambers

On the surface, this movie is visually fun to watch because of the action, odd cinematography, and off sound clips. It could be brushed aside as a "bad" film because of its outdated existence, but when looking at it for concept and not just face value, the film gains a lot of personal meaning. The comparison to the Shaolin temple and Tyler is surprisingly easy to make. Both San ta and I both worked our tails off getting hear. We both held an idyllic view of what it was going to be like. We recognized the amount of work, but did not know how taxing it would be. The actual school is different than that we expected. I doubt that San ta expected to carrying killer watter buckets, spinning ninja stars with a bamboo stick, or knocking his head into sandbags intentionally. I did not expect my bedtime of around 11 to change to 3, to be creating a 6x6 foot drawing, or to have many major art projects going at once. They are physically and mentally challenging in different ways. Both require a persistence and tenacity. There is no option to give up, and there is no point in not doing the best work I could possibly do. In the beginning of the first semester, all of the work was like trying to eat on top of a floating log. i did not completely understand how to balance my schedule, my room mate was awful and I did not know how to deal with her (now I just live at Tyler or the lounge to avoid her), and adjusting to college independence and the freedom that it really entails. I feel like I've learned to balance my work load, not so much balance as just to work all the time in order to do things I want to every once in a while- like go swing or salsa dancing.
The one thing that I think will differ most from the movie will be after school. Everything just falls into place for San ta. I feel like I'm going to have to work harder when I get out of art school to achieve my dreams. I want to major in Jewelry Metals CAD/CAM, so I'm hoping that I can get a job in industry when I get out of college. With the income I make from that hopefully I can continue my own work. I hope to remain within a group of artists that can meet to discuss work. I would love to design for a high end designer, and to teach art at a college level. San ta gained the respect immediately of people who saw him as he ventured from the temple- to be respect within the art world takes much more than just graduation from a reputable art school.  People have preconceived notions of "good art." There are classic artists who students can work to emulate or oppose, either way, making a little voice of a young artist is much harder than San ta's immediate reward. Instead of the single kung fu master venturing out in the world to seek vengeance, art students graduate yearly by the thousands.

No comments:

Post a Comment